Aggregate exposure assessment for BPA

Scientists discuss aggregate exposure assessment for bisphenol A; source-to-dose (forward) and biomonitoring-based (backward) calculation resulted in similar estimates; 90% of exposure comes from diet and the remaining 10% mainly from dermal exposure

Public consultation: EFSA guidance on substances in baby food

EFSA publishes draft guidance on the risk assessment of substances in food for infants younger than 16 weeks; public consultation open until March 31, 2017

“Should I worry about plastics?”

BBC2 report investigates chemical exposure from plastic food packaging and consults with leading toxicologists; likely no concern for average adults; reducing plastic use recommended

Impact of EDCs on fertility and health

Expert panel discusses health effects of endocrine disruptors at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health; video recording available

Fluorinated chemicals in fast food packaging

Scientists demonstrate high prevalence of per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFASs) in U.S. fast food packaging; PFOA found despite phase out announced

Sulfated BPA a major metabolite in fetal blood

Scientists measure BPA metabolites and BPA alternatives in paired maternal and fetal cord blood; find low but significant levels of BPS; fetus’ level of total BPA metabolites higher than mother’s; BPA-sulfate higher than BPA-glucuronide

Occupational exposure to BPA

Scientists measure urinary BPA in workers from industries that use or manufacture BPA; find on average 70 times higher levels compared to general public

EU human biomonitoring launched

European Human Biomonitoring Initiative (HBM4EU) launched on December 8, 2016, followed by stakeholder meeting; prioritized substances include plasticizers, bisphenols, PFASs, anilines

EDCs and the pesticide industry

Opinion articles highlight influence of pesticide industry on the regulation of endocrine disruptors in Australia and Europe

PFOA and PFOS hazardous to human immune system

U.S. National Toxicology Program publishes systematic review on exposure to PFOA and PFOS and immunotoxicity, concludes that both substances are presumed immune hazards to humans