About the 2021 Workshop
The 2021 Food Packaging Forum (FPF) Workshop will take place online in a virtual format on October 6-8, 2021, under the theme “Different perspectives on food contact materials: working together to make FCMs safer.” Presentations and discussions will be split into three days of 2-hour sessions beginning at 15:00 Central European Summer Time (CEST). The sessions will feature a range of high-profile speakers from different areas of expertise and provide insights into the latest science and policy-making within the field, as well as discussing how stakeholders’ are working together to make food contact materials (FCMs) safer for everyone.
This annual workshop is a one-of-a-kind event in the field to learn about recent developments in science, business, advocacy, and regulation. This year’s workshop will be held in an online format that allows participants from anywhere to follow the speaker presentations, share questions live, and participate in discussions. This Food Packaging Forum event regularly brings together a diverse group of international stakeholders from government, industry, academia, civil society, and beyond to network with one another and share insights. To accommodate participation from across the globe, all of the presentations will also be recorded and made available to watch after the event.
Just as in previous years, networking and open discussion are important aspects of the event. The 2021 workshop will continue to offer opportunities for networking and informal discussion. Using the Whova digital conference platform, the workshop will include small group discussions as well as the ability for participants to schedule and hold private video meetings with one another. All you need is a free Whova account and to set up your personal profile. The event can then be joined either via a web browser or using the Whova mobile app. More information about the Whova platform and how to join the event will be shared with registered participants a few weeks before the workshop.
The workshop will take place from 15:00 to 17:30 CEST on October 6th, 7th, and 8th, 2021. Speakers already confirmed for the event include:
- Prof. Shanna Swan from the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in the United States. Prof. Swan recently published her new book “Countdown” which explores “how our modern world is threatening sperm counts, altering male and female reproductive development, and imperiling the future of the human race.”
- Prof. Carl-Gustaf Bornehag from Karlstad University in Sweden. Prof. Bornehag’s research focuses on early life exposure to environmental factors such as endocrine disrupting chemicals and the importance for children’s health and development. He has been the principal investigator of two major epidemiological studies in Sweden as well as co-led the EU Horizon 2020 EDC-MixRisk project.
- Prof. Juliette Legler from Utrecht University in the Netherlands. Prof. Legler’s research focuses on the molecular mechanisms of toxicity of chemicals and the effects of chemical exposure on humans and wildlife. She is currently the coordinator of the EU Horizon 2020 GOLIATH project, which focuses on developing methods to identify metabolism-disrupting chemicals.
- Prof. Michael Shaver from the University of Manchester in the United Kingdom. Prof. Shaver’s research focuses on developing improved catalysts, processes, and polymers that are sustainable both economically and environmentally. His research group is part of the Sustainable Materials Innovation Hub, which focuses on improving the understanding, use, and consumption of plastics.
- Dr. Simona Balan from the California Department of Toxic Substances Control in the United States. Dr. Balan is a Senior Environmental Scientist at the state agency where she researches potential exposures and adverse impacts from the use of harmful chemicals in consumer products and regulates problematic products under the California Safer Consumer Products regulations.
- Prof. Poonam Arora from Manhattan College in the United States. Prof. Arora’s research focuses on exploring sustainability in dynamic socio environmental-economic systems. This involves using social and environmental dilemmas to examine how individuals, organizations, and communities manage conflicting goals to ensure long-term economic, social, and environmental sustainability.
The full agenda with speakers and workshop discussion topics will be updated here in the coming weeks.
How to Register
Registration can be completed using the form below. It includes participation in all workshop sessions and full access to the online networking and discussion platform. A single registration costs 50 Swiss Francs (equivalent to approximately $52 USD or 47 Euro), and all major international cards are accepted for payment.
All payments are processed securely by our payments provider Stripe. A payment window will open as a pop-up on this page, and a confirmation email of the registration will immediately be sent to you. For any questions regarding registration or other aspects of the workshop, please email events(at)fp-forum.org.
Date/TimeOct 6, 2021 - Oct 8, 2021
15:00 - 17:30