In an article published on April 29, 2019, news provider Chemical Watch informed about the start of a public consultation on a proposal to add 12 substances of very high concern (SVHCs) to Annex XIV of the EU REACH legislation, known as the authorization list (FPF reported). Of the twelve substances, the following are included in the FACET inventory of food contact materials (FCMs):
- 1,2-benzenedicarboxylic acid, di-C6-10-alkyl esters (CAS 68515-51-5);
- 1,2-benzenedicarboxylic acid, mixed decyl, hexyl and octyl diesters with ≥ 0.3% of dihexyl phthalate (CAS 68648-93-1);
- 2,4-di-tert-butyl-6-(5-chlorobenzotriazol-2-yl)phenol (UV-327, CAS 3864-99-1);
- 2-(2H-benzotriazol-2-yl)-4-(tert-butyl)-6-(sec-butyl)phenol (UV-350, CAS 36437-37-3);
- 2-benzotriazol-2-yl-4,6-di-tert-butylphenol (UV-320, CAS 3846-71-7);
- diazene-1,2-dicarboxamide (C,C’-azodi(formamide)) (ADCA, CAS 123-77-3).
The European Commission is set to adopt the regulation in October 2019, and the public consultation is open until May 22, 2019. Chemical Watch is hosting a free webinar on the topic on May 14, 2019.
European Commission (April 24, 2019). “Chemicals Regulation (REACH) – updated rules.”
Chemical Watch (April 29, 2019). “Commission begins consultation on proposed Annex XIV additions.”