In an article published on February 15, 2017 the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) reports that its staff has manually verified 1,653 substance registration dossiers submitted under the Regulation on the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH). This corresponds to 33% of incoming dossiers, ECHA writes. The agency introduced the enhanced completeness check of registration dossiers in June 2016, after its Board of Appeal found that ECHA “has failed to adequately examine the completeness of [a registrant’s] dossier” (FPF reported). For 329 of the verified dossiers (20%), ECHA asked companies to improve the submitted information, mainly in the following areas: i) Justification for data waiving, ii) substance identification, iii) testing proposal, and iv) chemical safety report. ECHA reports that 95% of the dossiers that needed improvement passed the completeness check after registrants updated the information. The remaining 5% of dossiers need to be resubmitted with the missing information within a deadline set by ECHA. Late resubmissions of complete dossiers will be rejected, and in the case of first time submissions of registration dossiers, registration numbers will not be issued.

These statistics describe the time period from June 21, 2016 to February 13, 2017, and include first time submissions as well as updates to existing registrations. The enhanced completeness check comprises an automated check of dossier information, complemented by a manual verification of certain elements that cannot be checked automatically.

Read more

ECHA (February 15, 2017). “Enhanced completeness check delivers its first results.