In an article published on June 2, 2020, law firm Keller and Heckman LLP (KH) informed that the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has added 18 additional entries to its Inventory of Effective Food Contact Substances (FCS) Notifications since January 2020. Food contact substances within the inventory are those that “have been demonstrated to be safe for their intended use.” The new substances are included in the following entry numbers:
- 2045: 2-Propenoic acid, 2-methyl-, polymer with butyl 2-propenoate, cyclohexyl 2-methyl-2-propenoate, methyl 2-methyl-2-propenoate, 2-oxiranylmethyl 2-methyl-2-propenoate, 1,2-propanediol mono(2-methyl-2-propenoate) and 2-propen-1-yl 2-methyl-2-propenoate (CAS 1874228-60-0).
- 2043: Cellulose acetate (CAS 9004-35-7), and optionally modified with propionate to form cellulose acetate propanoate (CAS 9004-39-1) resulting in up to 49 weight-percent propionate esters.
- 2038: Benzenesulfonic acid, 2-[2-(2,4-diamino-1,6-dihydro-6-oxo-5-pyrimidinyl)diazenyl]-5-methyl- (CAS 1021701-36-9).
- 2037: Oleic acid, mono ester with oxybis(propanediol) (also known as diglyceryl monooleate) (CAS 49553-76-6).
- 2036: An aqueous mixture of peroxyacetic acid (PAA) (CAS 79-21-0), hydrogen peroxide (HP) (CAS 7722-84-1), acetic acid (AA) (CAS 64-19-7), 1-hydroxyethylidene-1,1-diphosphonic acid (HEDP) (CAS 2809-21-4), dipicolinic acid (DPA) (CAS 499-83-2), and optionally sulfuric acid (CAS 7664-93-9). REPLACES FCN 1639
- 2034: Copolymers of styrene (CAS 100-42-5), α-methylstyrene (CAS 98-83-9), butyl methacrylate (CAS 97-88-1), 2-ethylhexyl acrylate (CAS 103-11-7), methyl methacrylate (CAS 80-62-6), butyl acrylate (CAS 141-32-2), itaconic acid (CAS 97-65-4), methacrylic acid (CAS 79-41-4), hydroxypropyl acrylate (CAS 999-61-1 and CAS 2918-23-2), sodium methallyl sulfonate (CAS 1561-92-8), and sodium styrene sulfonate (CAS 2695-37-6).
- 2033: An aqueous mixture of peroxyacetic acid (PAA) (CAS 79-21-0), hydrogen peroxide (HP) (CAS 7722-84-1), acetic acid (AA) (CAS 64-19-7), 1-hydroxyethylidene-1,1-diphosphonic acid (HEDP) (CAS 2809-21-4), and optionally dipicolinic acid (DPA) (CAS 499-83-2) and/or sodium hydroxide (NaOH) (CAS 1310-73-2). REPLACES FCN 1426
- 2031: Zinc pyrithione (CAS 13463-41-7).
- 2028: Polyurethane resins (CAS 89097-02-9) derived from the reaction of diphenylmethane diisocyanate with 1,3-propanediol and polytetramethylene ether glycol.
- 2026: Blocked isophorone diisocyanate (IPDI) polymer consisting of trimer, pentamer, heptamer, and nonamer oligomers, with the primary component of interest being the trimer (CAS 103170-26-9). REPLACES FCN 1039
- 2025: Cellulose, triacetate (CAS 9012-09-3).
- 2024: Acetic acid ethenyl ester, polymer with ethene and ethenol (CAS 26221-27-2).
- 2023: A mixture of 35-60 percent hydroxysulfinoacetic acid, disodium salt (CAS 223106-41-0), 10-60 percent hydroxysulfoacetic acid, disodium salt (CAS 29736-24-1), and 0-40 percent sodium sulfite (CAS 7757-83-7).
- 2022 and 2021: Microfibrillated cellulose pulp (CAS 65996-61-4).
- 2020: Mixed esters of C5-C12 fatty acids with pentaerythritol, dipentaerythritol, and polypentaerythritol.
- 2019: Platinum 5,10,15,20-tetrakis(pentafluorophenyl)porphyrin (CAS 109781-47-7).
- 2017: bis(hydrogenated palm-oil alkyl)hydroxy amines (CAS 1374859-51-4).
KH (June 2, 2019). “FDA Adds 18 New Substances to its Inventory of Effective FCS Notifications.”
FDA (June 2020). “Inventory of Effective Food Contact Substance (FCS) Notifications.”