In an article published on April 8, 2021, law firm Keller and Heckman LLP (KH) informed that the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has added seven entries to its Inventory of Effective Food Contact Substance (FCS) Notifications. Food contact substances within the inventory are those that “have been demonstrated to be safe for their intended use.”
Among the new entries is the substance hydroquinone (CAS 123-31-9). This chemical is also present, among others, in the Swiss list for food contact plastics, according to the Food Contact Chemicals database (FCCdb).
The new substances are included with the following entry numbers:
- 2112: An aqueous mixture containing peroxyacetic acid (CAS 79-21-0), hydrogen peroxide (CAS 7722-84-1), acetic acid (CAS 64-19-7), and 1-hydroxyethylidene-1,1-diphosphonic acid (CAS 2809-21-4)
- 2111: Methacrylic acid, polymer with butyl acrylate, styrene, itaconic acid and acrylamide, sodium salt
- 2108: Silicic acid, aluminum magnesium sodium salt (CAS 12040-43-6). Replaces notification 2027.
- 2107: Hydroquinone (CAS 123-31-9). Replaces notification 1460.
- 2095: Bicyclo[2.2.1]heptane-2,3-dicarboxylic acid, calcium salt (1:1), (1R,2R,3S,4S)-rel- (CAS 839683-04-4)
- 2039: Diallyldimethylammonium chloride polymer with acrylamide (CAS 26590-05-6) produced by copolymerizing up to 5 weight percent of acrylamide and up to 95 weight percent of diallyldimethylammonium chloride
- 2007: 2-Propenoic acid, polymer with sodium phosphinate (1:1), neutralized with sodium, calcium, and/or magnesium (including Na salt; CAS 129898-01-7 and Mg Na salt; CAS 935545-65-6)
KH (April 6, 2021). “FDA Adds Seven New Substances to its Inventory of Effective FCS Notifications.”