On November 25, 2020, Politico convened a high-level debate with experts about sustainable packaging and its contribution to a low carbon circular economy. Panelists included:
- Florika Fink-Hooijer, Director General for DG Environment, European Commission
- Jan Huitema MEP (Renew Europe, Netherlands), rapporteur for the ENVI Committee on the Circular Economy Action Plan
- Jane Muncke, Managing Director, Food Packaging Forum
- Heike Schiffler, Vice President Sustainability Europe and Central Asia, Tetra Pak
Key questions addressed included:
- How can the EU’s circular economy goals contribute to making packaging more sustainable?
- How can the industry help optimize the design of packaging with the aim of easing recycling and using fewer resources? And can the sector contribute to a low carbon circular economy?
- Does a shift back to single-use packaging in light of the coronavirus pandemic make sense?
- What will be the impact of the plastic tax on the packaging industry? Will it encourage the use of other materials?
- How could the EU improve the traceability and transparency on chemicals in food contact materials?
Politico (November 25, 2020). “Will the EU be ready for all packaging to be sustainable by 2030?“