|Food Packaging||Food Contact Material*||Typical Migrants||Typical uses|
|Plastic Foil||PET (polyethylene terephthalate)||
||Joghurt cup lids|
||Freezer bags, frozen poultry and ham bags, prepackaged fresh produce, food storage containers [7, 8]|
||Shrink foil, shrink foil prepackaged meat, cheese, fruit and vegetables |
||Milk, dairy products |
||Meat packaging |
|Plastic bottle||PET (polyethylene terephthalate)||
||Soft drinks, CSD** (single use) |
||Repeated use water bottles, baby feeding bottles |
||Water and soft drink bottles (single use)|
|Plastic trays and inserts||PVC (polyvinylchloride)||
||Chocolate box inserts, food trays, biscuit tins|
||Yoghurt, dairy product, honey, syrup and ice cream, marmalade and jam tubs and containers;trays for prepackaged meat and fruit|
|Plastic trays(oven proof)||PET (polyethylene terephthalate)||
||oven proof or microwavable food|
|Plastic cups||PP (polypropylene)||
||Vending cups |
||Crisps, biscuits, snack foods, sugar,grains and vegetables|
||Boil in the bag food |
*Layer in direct contact with food
** carbonated soft drinks
1. Mutsuga, M., et al., Survey of formaldehyde, acetaldehyde and oligomers in polyethylene terephthalate food-packaging materials. Food Addit Contam, 2005. 22(8):783-789.
2. Andra, S.S. and K.C. Makris, Thyroid Disrupting Chemicals in Plastic Additives and Thyroid Health. Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part C, 2012. 30(2):107-151.
3. Begley, T.H., et al., Migration of a UV stabilizer from polyethylene terephthalate (PET) into food simulants. Food Addit Contam, 2004. 21(10):1007-1014.
4. Andra, S.S., et al., Co-leaching of brominated compounds and antimony from bottled water.Environment International, 2012. 38(1):45-53.
5. Biedermann-Brem, S., et al., Migration of polyolefin oligomeric saturated hydrocarbons (POSH) into food. Food Additives & Contaminants: Part A, 2012. 29(3):449-460.
6. Alfirevic, M., et al., Presence of nonylphenols in plastic films and their migration into food simulants. Acta Chimica Slovenica, 2011. 58(1):127-133.
7. Kawamura, Y., et al., Determination of additives in food contact polypropylene. Journal of the Food Hygienic Society of Japan, 2000. 41(2):154-161.
8. Crompton, T.R., Additive migration from plastics into foods. A guide for analytical chemists. 2007, Shawbury, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Smithers Rapra Technology Limited
9. Benfenati, E., et al., Migration of vinyl chloride into PVC-bottled drinking-water assessed by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. Food Chem Toxicol, 1991. 29(2):131-134.
10. Papaspyrou, S.D., et al., Determination of migration of n-butyltins and n-octyltins to food simulants by gas chromatography–mass spectrometry. Appl Organometal Chem, 2007. 21:412–424.
11. Goulas, A.E., A. Kokkinos, and M.G. Kontominas, Effect of gamma-radiation on migration behaviour of dioctyladipate and acetyltributylcitrate plasticizers from food-grade PVC and PVDC/PVC films into olive oil. Z Lebensm Unters Forsch, 1995. 201(1):74-78.
12. Petersen, J.H. and L.K. Jensen, Phthalates and food-contact materials: enforcing the 2008 European Union plastics legislation. Food Additives & Contaminants: Part A, 2010. 27(11):1608-1616.
13. Votavova, L., et al., Migration of Nonylphenols from Polymer Packaging Materials into Food Simulants. Czech Journal of Food Sciences, 2009. 27(4):293-299.
14. Sendón García, R., et al., Revision of analytical strategies to evaluate different migrants from food packaging materials. Trends in Food Science & Technology, 2006. 17(7):354-366.
15. Bach, C., et al., Chemical compounds and toxicological assessments of drinking water stored in polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottles: A source of controversy reviewed. Water Res, 2012. 46(3):571-583.
16. Schmid, P., et al., Does the reuse of PET bottles during solar water disinfection pose a health risk due to the migration of plasticisers and other chemicals into the water? Water Res, 2008. 42(20):5054-5060.
17. Guart, A., et al., Migration of plasticizers phthalates, bisphenol A and alkylphenols from plastic containers and evaluation of risk. Food Additives & Contaminants: Part A: Chemistry, Analysis, Control, Exposure & Risk Assessment, 2011. 28(5):676-685.
18. Bradley, E., Nonylphenol in food contact plastics and migration into foods, F.S. Agency, Editor 2010
19. Inoue, K., et al., Migration of 4-nonylphenol from polyvinyl chloride food packaging films into food simulants and foods. Food Addit Contam, 2001. 18(2):157-164.
20. Ahmad, M. and A.S. Bajahlan, Leaching of styrene and other aromatic compounds in drinking water from PS bottles. J Environ Sci (China), 2007. 19(4):421-426.
21. Choi, J.O., et al., Migration of styrene monomer, dimers and trimers from polystyrene to food simulants. Food Addit Contam, 2005. 22(7):693-699.